From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 96 15:11:15 cst

        Hi Norm: Here are some answers to the questions you posed:

1.  Is heat sealing a vendor convenience or your choice?
        * The use of heat sealing is the choice of our board vendors. We do not
require heat sealing per some specification requirement.

2.  Is the reason for bagging solely to keep the boards clean?
        * The bagging is required to keep the boards clean and allow more robust
handling during the logistics of shipping.

3.  Does heat sealing keep the boards moisture free during storage?
         * Yes, I have done some weight measurements (which is no easy task in
itself due to the very low signal to noise ratio of the measurement) and have
shown that sealing the boards reduces the amount of moisture the boards pick up.
The boards are not moisture free due to the bagging material.

4.  Is the heat seal bag material moisture proof or does it also have
moisture absorption properties?
         * The bags are not moisture proof. They do have an absorption rate of
their own.

5.  After you remove the boards from the bags, do you keep them in a =
desicator during assembly and prior to soldering?
        * No, the boards are removed from the bags and assembled. And yes, they
don't always get assembled in a JIT manner.

I suspect that the Military study is now out of date with the materials that
exist in the electronics industry along with improved fabrication methods being
employed by the board fabricators. I have data and we both agree - if you don't
solder the boards within a couple of hours after baking or protected storage
then you just wasted alot of time - the moisture absorption of the boards from
the environment is very quick. Great discussion - just what TechNet is designed
to do!

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins