From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 08 May 96 08:08:06 cst
     Sorry but I disagree with your comments. I have found lead oxide on
     solder joints due to improper cleaning parameters in the cleaning
     process verified by several different techniques. As with everything,
     never rule out what seems unlikely. We do agree on one point - Rosin
     flux is the culprit for a majority of the white residue problems the
     industry sees but as other TechNet commenters will undoubtedly show is
     that a multitude of possibilities can exist for the source of a white
     residue. With the increased use of low residue and no clean fluxes it
     will be interesting to see what "residues" will crop up. FTIR is a
     very powerful tool - yes, the evaluation of the test results can be
     difficult to interpret but if carefully prepared "suspect" samples are
     used the test results can be very revealing.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins