Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:03:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

We are currently investigating what PCB assembly houses (subcontract or
OEM) use for inspection and "root cause" error correction tools to
better identify and understand faults on PCB assemblies.  Such tools
may be X-ray, AOI, solder paste volume measurement, cross sectioning, etc....

Obviously, this is a high level question.  What we are trying to do
is to take external feedback coupled with our internal defect data
(some of our "high bars" on the defect pareto are
solder shorts, insufficient solder, bent pin leads, missing component)
and create a plan to understand and subsequently reduce defects.

We are an OEM assembling our own boards in a high mix enviromnent.  Boards
are "standard" multi-layer FR4, both SMT and PTH with a wide range of
sizes and component types.

I would be interested in what philosophies you have taken, what equipment
has worked and what hasn't, and how you have understood the root cause of
defects.   Any information, either positive or negative, would be greatly
appreciated.

If there are any problems with the technet forum, I can be E-Mailed
directly at:

Thanks for the help.

Tom Olafsson
Teradyne, Inc.