From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Schwartz)
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 96 17:54 EST
>PCB Designers,
>
>HOWZITGOIN?
>
>We just got back from the PCD Conference where we were gathering
>information to help us select a new CAD system.  We presently
>have 14 Sparc 20's running Cadnetix (F1.3).  We are looking for
>input from any of you who have already made this transition from
>Cadnetix to something else.
>
>Which CAD tool did you choose?
>
>Why?
>
>When?
>
>What do you like about it?
>
>What don't you like about it?
>
>How long was the learning curve?
>
>Does it run under UNIX or Windows NT?
>
>Any wise words of warning?
>
>Any other related comments?
>
>We are always looking for new ways to become more productive.
>Therefore, until we do upgrade to something else, we would love
>to stretch what we have as far as we can.  So if you (or people
>you know) still use Cadnetix, we would be willing to share
>macros, work-arounds, etc.
>
>Thank you and have a FANTASTIC day!
>
>Kevin L. Seaman
>(714) 221-4752

Never pick a CAD system by seeing a demo.
Also, you should evaluate your companies needs.
Routing, output,DRC,DFM,DFT etc., etc.

Usually I do a survey that takes about 1-2 months.
The I evaluate the systems I feel are worthy of my
taste and have them do a complete design at my location.
I use a designer they provide, not an AE (I will say more
about this later). Of course I pay for these designs and
evaluate the designers progress with the problems I might face
as a user of the system. Then I have my fabrication shop
do another DRC with their CAM system, and an engineering
evaluation of the design.

I also have my assembly shop evaluate the output they might get,
Pick and place, test points etc.

All this and more should be part of your decision.

These are expensive systems and should last 5 or more years, to get
your money's worth.

Applications Engineers (AE's) are hired not on their technical
expertiese or their knowkedge of the system they demo. They are hired
based on a personality evaluation interview. The rest comes in time.
I have interviewed for a few of these positions and can't seem to
pass the interview. I guess I'm to honest.

I have done these evaluations a few times at different company's,
AT&T (10 years),Truevision (4 years),VideoLan (1 year).

Incidently, I am currently unemployed, I was layed off again.
If you need assistance I am looking for a permanent position.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
"May The Schwartz Be with You"