From:
<[log in to unmask]> (Darren Hitchcock)
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 96 3:11:54 EDT
Carey,

We have produced quite a few multilayer boards with many
combinations of different dielectric materials.  In most cases,
you should not expect UL certification of the finished circuit
board even if the raw materials are both UL rated.  With RO4003
you will not get certified boards from any supplier because the
material is not only missing a UL rating, but will burn if you put
a match to it.  RO4350 is basically RO4003 with a flame retardant
filler.  The electrical difference is that RO4350 has a
dissipation factor is .004 instead of .002 with RO4003.

When you are mixing dielectric materials in general you should be
concerned with the following with regard to the stackup:

1.  The first thing that should cause you concern is will the
materials bond together.  RO4350 can be bonded with FR4 prepreg to
anything else that will stick to FR4 prepreg.  However some PTFE
based laminates will not bond to many prepregs.  So you should
consult your fabricator early in the design to ensure that the
materials will hold together after lamination.

2.  The next concern is warp.  If the dielectric materials are not
balanced about the Z-axis, the board will warp.  The only question
left is: "How much will it warp?".  The warp will be dependent on
differences in Tg and X-Y CTE of the different dielectric
materials as well as other things.

3.  Then other factors should be considered like:  Can you
supplier process the board through processes other than
lamination.  ie: plating, drilling, soldermask, etc.

The largest cost component in a circuit board is the raw material
(not including yield).  RO4000 series laminates cost more to the
tune of 3-5 times that of difunctional FR4.  There is no RO4000
series prepreg yet so every board will have a different dielectric
for the prepreg.  On a 4 layer .062" multilayer the best stackup
is:

RO4350 / FR4 / RO4350 - little - no warp

The price may be lower for a RO4350 / FR4 / FR4 board, but you
will need to waive the 1% IPC warp specification and will have
added costs in assembly trying to deal with a warped board.

If you have any other question feel free to call.

Darren Hitchcock
(503) 359-2658

Carey Ritchey/KENT/COM/AUGAT <Carey_Ritchey/KENT/COM/AUGAT.AUG