From:
[log in to unmask] (Karen Tellefsen)
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:33:36 -0400

These question were faxed to me by a Japanese colleague
responsible for JIS SIR standards.
I am sending him a copy of the IPC SIR handbook, and answers
to some of the questions.  If anyone has any answers or insight
to add, I'll forward it to him.  (I know, question 8 doesn't
make sense, and some of the other questions are cryptic.)

  11 Questions regarding SIR testing from

     A. Kiyosue
     Alpha Metals Japan Ltd.
     5-50 Shinmachi Hiratsuka
     Kanagawa Japan

1/ Is there any acceleration coefficient between set
   temperature and humidity condition?
   further, what is the relationship of service environment
   conditions and life?
   Would you indicate the formula for life?

2/ What is the relationship between the temperature/humidity
   condition of the environment test, and the time before
   short circuit (migration) occurs?

3/ Would you indicate the admissible range of set temperatures
   and humidities. Also indicate how life is effected by this
   range?

4/ What is the basis for determining the value of bias voltage
   to be applied?

5/ To what extent the temperature by unsaturated PCT (Pressure
   Cooker Test) may be applied?

6/ What is the basis for the standard test conditions (85C 85%RH,
   40C 90%RH, etc.)?

7/ It seems that the environment test conditions are similar to
   those of a single test; what do you think about the complex
   acceleration test?

8/ Has the environment test established by taking into
   consideration test?

9/  Has the environment test conditions such 40C/95%RH,
    85C/85%RH,60C/90%RH? Is it possible to classify them
    based on test samples?

10/ What difference of the effects on life between the case
    that the bias voltage is applied at intervals and the
    case that voltage is applied continuously?

11/ What is the relationship between the bias voltage applied
    and the before short-circuit (migration) occurs?