From:
"Greg Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
18 Sep 1996 16:12:32 -0400
Message Body (120 lines)
                      RE>>Fabrication                              9/18/96

I think that the key here is that the OSP is being applied to a board with *electroplated* gold rather than *immersion* gold.  (At least, this is the implication that I get!)  I'd find it hard to justify using an OSP on an i.Au/e.Ni board, too.

Consider a board that's built with OSPs that has electroplated gold on the fingers.  This combination makes sense to me.  Someone earlier in this forum had a good warning with regard to avoiding a copper/gold galvanic couple during the OSP application process.  I've also heard that the major OSPs differ in performance:  some require masking of the gold fingers (or else there will be a "tarnishing effect") while others don't.

Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems
Chelmsford, MA