From:
Dwight Mattix<[log in to unmask]> (Dwight Mattix)
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 09:36:21 -0700 (PDT)
At 4:23 PM 5/24/96, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>          It sounds like they are imposing too much design
>          responsibility on you.

yeah, of course you're right.  the designer's gotta do the (by definition)
design and should have a clue about pwb fab. Any EE worth his salt should
be embarrassed to ask about EMI mode suppression hole spacing.  hard for a
supplier to tell a designer's ego to go back and do his homework tho'.

(my $.02)
dhoover,
on the other hand, as a fabricator if you learn something of these things
you're in a much improved customer service position.  knowledge is money --
to coin a phrase.  there is great benefit in being 'bi-lingual" and being
able to translate the designer's electrical concerns into PCB fabspeak and
vice versa.  that's how access is gained for early design involvement by
the fabricator.

as a consumer of pcb's, i/we don't (read: _Won't_) do business w/ any pc
fabs that don't have dedicated signal analysis eng's on staff w/ physics or
ee background.  Fab shops can't hang otherwise w/ edge rates at 500ps and
Microwave getting as common DC around here in commercial systems & volumes
(e.g. 800Mhz digital cellular, 1.8Ghz PCS, 2.5 Ghz Globalstar, 6 & 14 Ghz
Omnitracs).   PC fabs must become an extension of our eng dept.  Gotta have
a shared vocabulary and understanding of the basic antenna theory (at
least).

it ain't rocket science.  just physics.
get a good book on antenna theory, put it in the head and do a little light
reading now and then.
shoot, even a VW mechanic like me can get the basics down.

dwight