From:
Stephen C Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 96 09:43:00 PDT
We are experiencing a small but troublesome fallout from crushed pins on a PCI
type connector.
The connector supplier said that the nickel is the cause. The logic is that the
nickel wears slower than the copper or gold and therefore tends to protrude and
form a 'hook' that will snag and crush the pins. The nickel may also not be
beveled properly because of its hardness.
The proposed test is to create a PCB out of steel with a number of bevel angles
and 'hooks' and insert into connectors.
My understanding is that nickel is harder than steel, but does this test sound
logical?