From:
"Hollandsworth, Ron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 01 Nov 96 15:36:33 EST
     We SPC our CCAs via PPM (Parts Per Million) defect level.
     This has seemed to be a fairly good thermometer for
     measuring how effective the machine is doing.  A word of
     caution should also be interjected at this point to not rely
     totally on this PPM reading and relate it directly back to
     the performance of the machine.  Your machine could be
     capable and in control, however, your design, layout, could
     be causing the problem.

     We currently utilize two Hollis GBS Mark III machines.  We
     SPC our Hot Air Knives (HAK) utilizing a Magnehelic gage.
     We have modified our HAKs so our CFM output is fairly flat
     across the face of the knife.  Tracking via SPC tells us
     when it's time to refurb.

     We use SPC to track solder contamination level so we know
     when to change the pot.  When a the pot is changed, we use a
     special set of gages to assure that the rails, z-wave sump,
     chip sump, and HAK are returned to their previous positions.
     This includes HAK angle and conveyor angle.  We also check
     the rail parallism and dwell time with a solder wave
     analyzer.  We have ordered the newer solder wave optimizer
     which allows you to measure z-wave and chip wave.

     Most all the newer machines can do much of this from the PC
     that controls the machine.  Hope this helps.