From:
Harry Parkinson DTN 264-6760 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 96 09:56:27 EST
Bob,

    Just a couple of comments/corrections on your message.

Harry Parkinson
Chairman, IPC Controlled Impedance Task Group
Digital Equipment Corp
Tel 603-884-6760
FAX 603-884-1036
E-mail [log in to unmask]

From:	US2RMC::"[log in to unmask]" "MAIL-11 Daemon" 28-FEB-1996 22:03:26.21
To:	[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
CC:
Subj:	Re: Re[2]: TDR Measured Dielectric Constant

I am not sure I have the terminology straight, and I would appreciate a
correction if I am wrong, but the following is my understanding:

Dual stripline refers to the case where two signal layers are placed between a
pair of ground planes.  The signal line are generally orthogonal to avoid
cross talk.  Impedances for this configuration can be measured with a standard
TDR. The equation to predict impedance is similar to but differs slightly from
the case of a single signal line between layers.

>> All single ended transmission lines, either stripline or microstrip are
>>unbalanced. Dual striplines can be either unbalanced (single ended) or
>>balanced (double ended or differential)

Balance strip lines refers to the case where signal are routed as "balanced
pairs" with one line for the outgoing pulse and one for the return pulse.  The
impedance for this configuration is approximately (but not exactly) twice the
impedance of a single ended line.  The problem is that a standard TDR cannot
measure the impedance for this configuration.  The only choice is to measure
the two lines separately and use a formula to calculate impedance or buy a
special purpose test set.

>> TDR instrumentationCAN measure balanced transmission lines without
>>calculation I know of least two measuring systems, Tektronix 11801B and
>>Polar Instruments system (Channel Islands, U.K.). To measure the balanced ,
>>you connect a sampling probe to each line simultaneously. The formula
>> you refer to is (1+p (rho)/1-p(rho))times 100 (for a 50 ohm cable sampling
>>system)

With respect to copper foil, I would expect little effect other than a
possible reduction in effective spacing for a rough surface.  At 1GHz the
effective wavelength is approximately 6 inches.  Generally features less than
a quarter wavelength (1.5 inch) have little effect on the signal.  Since the
topology is very much smaller than this, the electric field will effectively
average out the peaks and valleys in the conductor surface.

Bob Holmes
Lucent Technology  (Formerly AT&T)

>> An IPC document, IPC 2141, "Controlled Impednace Circuit Boards and High
>> Speed Logic Design will be published in the next month or so. It treats the
>> balanced transmission line case including discussion of the differences
>> between unbalanced and balanced lines, shows configuraions, formulas, and
>> measurement tecniques/configurations.

Harry Parkinson