TECHNET Archives

November 2001

From:
Eric Christison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:10:13 +0000
Two things to add to this Friday afternoon discussion.

I was taught in my chemistry class the following mnemonics:

LEO - Loss of Electrons = Oxidation
GER - Gain of Electrons = Reduction

So oxidation may result in burning or even an explosion. But not everything that oxidises
burns.

The difference between burning and exploding is the rate at which the chemical reaction
proceeds. My unreliable memory reminds me that in burning the reaction passes from molecule to
molecule while in an explosion the reaction proceeds through the medium at the speed of sound.

Have a nice weekend,

--
Eric Christison
Mechanical Engineer