Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 14:32:59 +0500 (EST)
Jim, where I work we have done some SPC work.  Some has been for training
and demonstration, with the hope that  benefits would come from it.

Here are some places we are using SPC.

Electroless copper deposition (has been forcing engineer to look at data
operators have been collecting)

Hot Air Level post-clean (has allowed reduction in frequency of changes
of cleaning bath)

HAL solder contamination (copper, has put some discipline into the
contamination testing)

Etch before electroplating (has forced engineer to look at the etch bath
and adjust it to a better operating point, saving energy and materials)

Clean room particle counts (detected cases where someone had shut off the
air filtering mechanism)

Daily adjustment of photoplotter (not sure how much good this can do, may
detect degradation of mechanicals)

Wastewater treatment

Developer pH (can detect cases where developer has been tinkered with)

There are a lot more things we hope to work on.  One thing I have
observed, SPC may be helping to keep people from responding to false
alarms.

I would appreciate comments from any and all on the subject of SPC.

The section in PC-90 on measurement quality, repeatability and
reproducibility, is very interesting.  We have been looking at some of
our measurement methods and thinking of ways to improve them.

Lou Hart [log in to unmask]

.