Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 96 10:59:12 CST

     Jim,

     Are you referring to the customer/manufacturer side or the printed circuit
     board vendor side?

     From the manufacturer side, I've seen tons of paperwork go out to board
     vendors with "copyright" on them.  These could be schematics, functional
     specs, artwork layout.  Here are some situations that I present only for
     thought.

     1.   A company supplies the schematic and artwork layout informing the
          printed circuit board vendor exactly how to make the board.

     OR,

     2.   A company supplies only the schematic to a printed circuit board
          vendor and says "We don't care about layout or how you make the PCB."

     OR,

     3.   A company supplies only functional specs for electrical
          inputs/outputs, and mechanical dimensions to a pcb vendor and says
          "We don't care the electronic design, schematics, nor how you make
          it. Just have it do what we want."

     Doug McKean
     ADC Video Systems