From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:52:15 -0500 (CDT)
George:

J-STD-001A is not a design standard. It does, as you noted, refer to
various design and fab specs. This is because the task group that wrote
J-STD-001A is keen to the fact that correcting design flaws during
assembly operations is the WRONG way to make a PCB assembly.

In the development of J-STD-001A, the task group looked hard at what
requirements were assembly and what were design or fab (and belonged
elsewhere). There are certain areas (electrical spacing is one) in which,
say, the proximity of leads to one another or to adjacent lands may
violate the design requirements. Using that example, the task group felt
that there was no reason to repeat mounds of information on electrical
spacing. Therefore, they simply refer back to the industry consensus
design standand, in this case IPC-D-275.

Besides the concept of "jurisidiction," there are other reasons not to
repeat requirements from spec to spec. In the case of a typo, the mistake
gets carried like a virus from document to document, until the whole
industry is confused.

An example: In J-STD-001A, conformal coating thickness tolerances
are listed in 10.1.2.1. Unfortunately, these were picked up
from IPC-D-275, which has incorrect tolerances. (IPC-D-275 mistakenly
converted the requirements from MIL-STD-275E.) IPC-CC-830, the conformal
coating qualification spec, has the correct tolerances. Had the task
groups for D-275 and J-STD-001 simply referred to the CC-830, the problem
never would have occurred.

(For the record, both specs have been corrected via amendment. Amending
documents is much more time-consuming and expensive than simply getting
it right the first time, of course.)

On the question of whether referenced specs are requirements: It depends
on the verb modifier. The definitions vary slightly from document to
document, but for J-STD-001A, all classes must adhere to "must"
requirements. In 3.4.1, the design must be based on D-275, or the user
must approve something else to use.

Section 5.0, which covers components, uses "shall" instead of "must,"
which means it is mandatory for class 3, but if industry-accepted SPC is
in place and documented manufacturers of class 1 or 2 product aren't
bound by the requirement.

J-STD-001B is even more streamlined. It doesn't specify what spec
manufacturers need (to comply with section 5.0), it simply says the
components selected must be
compatible with all materials and processes, and that evidence of this
compatibility shall be maintained for review.

Mike Buetow
IPC Technical Staff
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062