From:
[log in to unmask] (ROGER HELD)
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 18:53:50 -0500
     Steve,

     You stepped on a "hot button" issue at Hitachi.  What we have been
     doing is maintaining a controlled list of humidity sensitive parts and
     performing a baking cycle on all of these parts prior to assembly.  In
     some cases, we keep a tight control (i.e. # of hrs) on exposure to
     humid conditions and store the parts in a dry box.  We have wanted to
     eliminate this process for some time but have only managed to remove a
     small number of parts from "the list".  We are not willing to change
     the environmental conditions in the plant due to ESD concerns.

     This baking requirement places other limitations on our parts such as
     requiring heat resistant trays and tubes (so no repackaging is
     required for baking).  It is a "royal pain".  Also, our designers
     rarely pick parts that are not sensitive or are even concerned about
     the packaging issues for manufacturing (another sore spot for us
     component engineers).

     The real reason for our problems is that our Receiving Dept. insists
     on opening all packages to perform a parts count prior to transfer to
     Incoming Test (ah, beaurocracy at its best).  We have worked with them
     to properly seal the packages after counting so that we can stop doing
     a majority of our baking.  Also, we are using more dock-to-stock and
     instructing Receiving to go by the outside labelling instead of
     openning the packages.  This also limits the problem considerably
     (small wonder why we can't seem to get any REAL work done around
     here).

     My suggestion for you is to keep track of the unsealed time on your
     parts and if it exceeds 2~5 days (your choice) then bake them for 12 ~
     24 hours (also your choice) and then restart the clock.  That way you
     perform an extra process ONLY when necessary.

     Regards,

     Roger Held
     Manager of Electrical Component Eng.
     Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
     [log in to unmask] com