From:
"dmitchel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 96 08:58:45 PST
 Some soldermask issues with BGA include ...

 1. Mask defined pads are more difficult to cover in one pass during
 horizontal HASL; a function of surface tension of solder and aperture
 size.

 2. Mask defined pads can lead to long term reliability problems. After
 reflow the BGA ball conforms to the mask around the pad. A paper by Mike
 Petrucci (et al) of Compaq showed cracks can form between the BGA ball and
 PCB pad on mask defined pads. However, their data showed no significant
 difference in reliability when compared to non-soldermask defined pads
 (etch defined). Another paper by Dr. Abbas I. Attarwala (et al) of TI
 showed mask defined pads on the device can lead to failures between the
 ball and pad. Both situations are caused by the mismatch in Cte between
 the mask and solder.

 3. Etch defined pads with a mask clearance of approximately .003" allow
 for more solder paste to be printed and possibly a more reliable joint.

 4. The clearance between the mask and pad on etch defined pads provides a
 place for no-clean paste residues to collect after reflow instead of on
 the PCB surface.

 5. Maximize the amount of soldermask between the BGA pad and the
 connecting via. At BGA rework the mask separating these features can
 become damaged. If completely removed, reassembly will be difficult since
 any new paste will run down the via instead of staying on the BGA pad.

 Regards,

 D. Mitchell