Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 22:20:39 -0400 (EDT)
I would suggest that you be concerned not with the reliability of the
connection to the pad that exhibits breakout, but more the resulting SPACING
between the plated through via hole and the nearest circuit conductor. If
your designers are "normal" they will lay down a circuit at the nominal
minimum spacing between edge of pad to edge of conductor. They ASSUME that
the hole will be contained in the diameter of the copper pad and NOT exhibit
breakout. With respect to long term reliability, minimum dielectric spacings
< 0.005 is generally not accepted in North American telecommunications'
products.

Breakout and it's reliability may be secondary to the proximity of adjascent
circuits and it's effect on long term circuit integrity.

I'd be interested in your findings...

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Montreal Canada