From:
<[log in to unmask]> (Darren Hitchcock)
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 96 10:59:22 PDT
I agree with Pratap in his assessment that the barrel cracking is
because of the difference in thermal expansion rates of the
material and copper in the Z-axis.  I hope to add a little more
detail around the CTE issue that I'm sure Pratap knew but chose to
leave out for fear of boring you all.  So if you are happy with
Pratap's response, there is still time to stop reading and delete
this message now before you get sucked in.

I would suspect the expansion as the cause for cracking before the
quality of plating and far before the soldermask in the holes.
The reason I wouldn't first suspect the plating quality is because
generally most shops are going to have good plated hole quality if
they monitor it at all.  The soldermask will also blow out of the
holes before building up enough force to crack the barrel of the
hole.

There are a few things that impact the reliability of the plated
holes due to CTE issues:

1.  Tg (glass transition temperature).  Using a higher Tg FR4 will
put less stress on the barrel.  FR4 expands more above the Tg than
below it so if the temperature difference between the Tg and
solder temperature is minimized, it will increase the reliability.

2.  Thickness.  You shouldn't have to worry about barrel cracking
due to CTE mismatch if the thickness is less than about .093" for
high layer count boards and less than about .150" for low layer
count boards.  (See next item for explanation)

3.  Resin content.  FR4 is a composite material of glass fabric
and epoxy resin.  The resin expands much faster than the glass
during a temperature rise.  The problem comes up when you are
trying to pack many layers into a thick board.  To do this you
need to use thinner prepregs which have higher resin content (1080
and 106 style glass).  Lower layer count boards use mostly thicker
prepregs with lower resin content (2116 and 7628 style glass).

FYI:  7628 is about .007" thick, 2116 is about .005" thick, 1080
is about .003" thick, and 106 is about .002" thick.  And I believe
it is still required by IPC 276 to have a minimum of 2 sheets of
prepreg between layers.

If you can't change items 1-3, then your last resort is to keep
the non-functional pads on all layers and plate the bejesers out
of it (make a rivet).

Darren Hitchcock
Merix Corporation