From:
"Thad McMillan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 96 07:30:57 CST
     Question on annular ring and hole breakout.  Why does IPC 276 permit
     breakout on outers on multilayers with PTHs?  I can understand
     allowing it on inners, but not outers.  Breakout on outers means that
     the pad associated with the hole does not cover all of the plated
     through hole.  In outer layer processing the image of that pad
     protects the hole copper during etch. If resist or resist plating does
     not cover the holes during outer layer etch, won't the hole partially
     etch out.  I can understand inners, but not outers.  Is the spec too
     loose in this area?  I have seen boards with outer layer breakout with
     partially etched out holes.