From:
Jim Moffit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:49:51 -0500
There is no real issue as none of the plastic components are hermetically
sealed.  The lack of hermetic seal predictably causes a problem, called
"popcorning" where the top of the component pops off during reflow, due to
the absorbed moisture being vaporized.  The IPC is working on methods of
moisture sensitivity classification for such components and there are
numerous bake-out schedules being applied to avoid the problem during
manufacture of pwa's.  Regards, Jim Moffitt