TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 21:34:03 -0600
Steve and all, certainly words to be seriously considered in troubled times.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I've gotten so many good wishes off
line, as I know you all have, I thought my thoughts may be interesting.
Though not purely technical, if at all, I have been involved in so many
conversations with folks I've never met from all over the world starting
that way and ending up as follows while answering a simple seasonal greeting:

Thank you Linda. It isn't an easy time, to say the least, but I've been
conversing with some folks in other lands (via the internet mostly), as well
as here, about who hopes for what in the future. In the recent past, the
talk has been of technology. Most recently (time dependent on the season I
suspect), more of it focuses on our type beings (some flatter ourselves as
human) and interrelationships, and how they may positively change based on
what we must do to survive let alone prosper - or simply make a living.
Talking this way certainly puts things a bit more in perspective but
emphasizes how differently we, on this shrinking sphere called earth, view
each other and how we continue to change - often for the better or?
Certainly, our time has become more perplexing without a clear vision of
where we all are headed. We now may begin viewing divergence in a whole new
light.

Much of the discussions revolve around ethics and moral values in the work
place. Moreover, these talks involve our leadership therein, or lack of it,
and how it influences our daily lives while trying to make a living. Even
God, or another entity to some, is viewed differently from one end of the
spectrum and planet to another - from kind and caring to a terrifying deity
promising death to infidels. Even the most terrible of crimes are just to
some and denounced by others - all based on a human perspective often
without regard to consequences on earth but a fruitful promise hereafter.

Much verbiage involves those past and how some have made billions of dollars
on and off the working person's back even in companies where a few led and
others followed eagerly down a path to certain riches. Enron is a most
recent example of those at the top promising great gains for all involved
while only they benefited, but those following now decry their losses as
though totally innocent. Mankind loves a .com type world and everyone wants
a big piece of it but not when it fails. Point the finger and become as
litigious as possible without regard to consequences. Worse, point the gun
and shoot "innocents" with no earthly regard at all.

In other times recent, though forgotten by most, the "junk bond" types
("kings") now are teaching ethics in Stanford MBA programs, and so forth,
come to mind and are clear examples of greed taken to the limits and the
profits made thereof kept them relatively safe from any serious punishment.
Write a check and go free worked for them. Truly amazing how we forgive some
with so much, and punish so many without. Third strike for stealing a loaf
of bread - now there's a concept failed though Milken and Ivan walk as free
and still very rich men to be followed in some classroom full of hopeful
billionaires. Almost makes recent "warlike" events pail by comparison.
That's a lot of what talk is about between myself and others in other places
with different, though not more well founded, viewpoints concerning what is
just.

One thing, out of all this, is sure. We have a nearly clean slate on which
we may all begin to do better, or not. The choice is ours. Though the
economy will get worse before better, we as humans can only get better.

It's not easy to find perspective for our situation and, what should be a
joyous time of year, is not exactly that as older promises held. However, as
some find justice in our inhumanities to one another, more of us may find a
better time ahead. That is my wish and that is what I, in my very limited
way, am working and hoping for so tomorrow is a better time and place.
Certainly, I am now going to reach out, beyond my technological confines,
and try to help make positive changes elsewhere. Because tomorrow is now,
you and I have work to do and I know you will do yours as well as I can only
hope do mine.

Enjoy,

Earl Moon and the Boyds

If a new year has any significance at all, the "clean slate" thing appeals
most to me. As my technical life slows to a crawl, I want to do something
else maybe just a bunch better.

MoonMan