From:
"Edwards, Ted A (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
01 May 1996 15:43:16 -0500

Shadow is Electrochemical's name for it's alternative to electroless copper.
 It is I believe an electrically conductive colloid.  Be real careful about
that black you see in your nonplated through holes, it is per a previous
Technet caution electrically conductive and is a leakage path.  As the other
person said, your nonplated hole is now electrically conductive.  Many of
the suppliers are planning or have changed to it for cost, process
simplicity, no Formaldehyde, and waste treat reason.
 First, look at your designs,  make sure power and ground did not run up to
your previous nonconductive nonplated holes?
  Second, how much experience does your supplier have with Shadow?  There
have been several previous Technet comments on how operating a Shadow line
"builds character"
 Third does the supplier have a tendency to get a little negative etchback,
and if so be aware that Shadow seems to go into this area and be still there
later as there seems to be a problem getting under it to remove it as
planned. (The theory I hear is Shadow coats everything then after drying the
next step gets under it with a microetch and removes it everywhere where
there is copper.)
I would be very interested in hearing what you find out .  I saved several
of the previous Technets and will be happy to send them to you if you send
your e mail address.