Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 96 8:50:35 EST
Rick,
The best method to eliminate shorts is to perform "root causes analysis".  In
other words identify where the short occurred.  There are three primary tools
used today: CAM Design Analysis, Automatic Optical Inspection, and Electrical
Test.  These may be obvious but are the best tools today to ensure high yields.

A Design Analysis program can verify netlists and summarize design spacing
values.  An optical inspection systems can optically compare the bare board
against the orignal design and highlight in-process defects.  This tool can be
used throughout the process to inspect: the master phototool, the working photo-
tool, the developed resist image, and the post etch panel.  As the final
gateway, electrical test is used to prevent any board with a short being sent
to a customer.  Using these tools can help eliminate defects only if corrective
action is taken to eliminate the cause of the defect.

George Murray
Gerber Systems