TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Leo Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:09:24 -0500
You bring up an interesting point. Your contractual agreement with the
subcontractor who built the boards should have been qualified to verify that
they in fact can build the product to your requirements. Many time people
get boards built by subcontractors and don't understand the impacts of the
manufacturing process on their products either through chemistry being used
or materials and tools being used.

By specifying on your contract what your cleaning requirements were, the
manufacturer would then be able to decide whether or not they could
manufacture the product or let you know what their process could provide so
you could make a decision as to whether or not go with those folks. We see
this quite often with people requiring the use of Low Solid content flux on
their products then asking the manufacturer to clean the product. Many times
incompatibilities are created between the flux chemistries and the cleaning
process and customers become unhappy with the results.

There were a couple of TechNet message within the last couple of weeks that
talked about the use of Low Solid content fluxes and their ability to be
cleaned and conformal coated.

In closing Soldering may appear and feel like a simple process, but there
are so many variables in the equation that many things can and will go wrong
if one goes about using the process in the wrong way.

Hope this helps. If you want to talk some more about this, please send me an
email of line at [log in to unmask]

Regards,

Leo Lambert
EPTAC Corp.