From:
Gary Ferrari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 09:45:14 -0400
Bob,

The IPC standard for soldermask is IPC-SM-840, which has recently been
revised. It covers the properties and application of soldermasks.

The IPC-D-275 covers the design parameters surrounding the use of
soldermask. When dealing with liquid photoimageable masks, they can usually
provide a dam of 0.004 - 0.005 inch wide. Provide a misregistration
allowance of approximately .005inch and small clearance. You will find that
you can bring the lands closer.

However, a poorly controlled wave solder operation will still result in
solder bridging problems. Be sure that the process is well under control,
when attempting to reduce clearances.

Regards,

Gary Ferrari
Manager Technical Support