From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 09:46:22 -0500
On Nov 1,  7:33am, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Subject: PVC in equipment construction
>
>     \0
>    TO:         I4235700 IBMMAIL   new address for ipc technet 25.6.96
>
>    FROM:       DSTEWART EX2       D.Stewart        - Product
Development Manager.

>    DATE:       1 November 1996
>    SUBJECT:    PVC in equipment construction
>    REFERENCE:  health dangers?
>
>     Has anyone heard of moves to ban PVC in construction of equipment,
>     due to the dioxins and phthalates interfering in the body's
hormone
>     systems?
>     As most conveyorised lines are constructed in PVC, this may have a
>     severe impact on equipment costs.
>     Dougal Stewart
>     Exacta circuits
>     Scotland

There has been a couple of News-type programs in the US on
"Endo-toxins", ie toxins which affect the endocrine system.  Often the
reproductive system is the focus, since it generates the most interest
in this society. (Sex, TV, and Ratings).

There is little current political drive in the US to address this issue,
although it is just over the horizon.  From the TV, it appears as though
there is some research going on.  If we are lucky, there will be a
critical mass of science done before it becomes political.

In a past life, I was an Environmental, Health, and Safety Manager, and
keep alert when I come across such stories.  My prediction: Endo-toxins
are real, affecting things like sperm count in men.  Possible severe
effects from "over exposure" during specific developmental phases of
Children.  Political impact date: 2003.  Possible impacts:  Ban
mild Endo-toxins in pacifiers, and childrens toys.  Severe Endo-toxins
will become controlled.

You heard it here First! ...  :-)

--

George Franck Jr