TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
"Tempea, Ioan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:13:05 -0500
Stacy,

check ECD's website, first for the interesting point of view on robust
profiles, http://www.ecd.com/emfg/instruments/papers/rookspaper.htm, then to
download their profile planner at
http://www.ecd.com/emfg/instruments/download.asp?action=form&file=ProfilePla
nner1_07b.EXE.

Then I would go for a group technology approach, that is:
- group your 8000 boards according to their thermal masses, and be tough,
don't make more than 5 groups
- try to see if you can't transfer the boards from a certain group to others
by having a DFM (panelizing, redesign, etc) input that would alter the
thermall masses enough to make them transferrable
- develop your robust profile according to the paste you use and tweak it a
little so that the boards from your medium thermal mass group come out OK
- use the previously profile for all the groups with inferior thermal mass,
watch for exceptions
- develop another profile by bumping up the robust profile, so that your
highest thermal mass boards solder well

Like this, ideally you have 2 reference profiles that should cover 90% of
your needs.

Keep in mind that you must assess each assembly according to the IPC-610,
judging the joints that you obtain. If they are OK, don't bother profiling
each board, because you will never get the perfect distribution you get with
your 8000 custom profiles. However, keep a keen eye on the first batches of
each assembly. If they have touchy components, profile them and try to be
under 225 celsius in the spike zone on the top of the BGAs.

Then, be ready for the exceptions, but there shouldn't be too many.

This is my point of view as 100% no-clean user. But, if it can be done on
no-clean, WS should be easier, isn't it?

Regards,
Ioan