TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 11:37:29 -0700
Freezing water at 0 degrees Celsius: It also takes 80 calories to freeze 1
gram of water. If 1 g of water (at 0 degrees Celsius) gives away 80
calories, it will freeze and its final temperature will be 0 degrees
Celsius.

Boiling water at 100 degrees Celsius: 540 calories are needed to turn 1 gram
(at 100 degrees Celsius) of water to steam (at 100 degrees Celsius).

I presume that it also takes energy to turn solid solder at the eutectic
temperature into liquid solder at the eutectic temperature. So if the oven
is at the eutectic temperature no heat transfer can take place to turn solid
solder into liquid solder.

Remember, just like water, calories run down hill :) and there is no hill
when the temperature is the same.

Have fun,
Ahne.