From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:24:56 -0700

		Phil: The Tin Research Institute published the "Photographic
			Guide to Soldering Quality" back in the late 70's or
			early 80's.This contained a reference to pumice
			abrasive cleaners and dewetting.
		      The Spiliotis article from '78 as mentioned in an
			earlier post also discusses dewetting related to
			pumice clean.
		      In a nutshell the pumice becomes embedded in the
			surface of the copper which results in poor solder
			wetting during subsequent processing.I believe when
			this work was done it related to electroplated Sn/Pb
			and not HAL.

		     I have copies of both articles although they're getting
		       pretty crumbly.

						Regards
						Michael Barmuta
						Staff Engineer