From:
"Aric Parr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
04 Sep 96 16:30:10 -0500

     I have melted SMD pads on prototype designs when powered. This did not
     necessarily damage the substrate, although I do not trust the part not
     to fall off the pad at some point.

Subject: Max op temp
Author:  [log in to unmask] at internet
Date:    9/4/96 3:50 PM

Questions from a telecomms designer:

What is the max continuous operating temperature for a COMPONENT on a vertically
orientated PCB (without  thermal management) without causing "damage" to the
substrate?

Has anyone derived a time/temp situation in reflow that would result in
significant degregation of the PCB such that personnel might be affected by
toxic fumes?

Thanks,   George Wheadon