From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 08:36:55 -0700
Pete Waddell wrote:

>      change vendors
>
> Subject: Inner layer PAD Suppression or NOT?
>
> I am currently debating the pro's & con's of suppressing  non-functional
> inner layer pads and have found our PCB fabricators have differing views
> on which is best.

I hope we get more thoughtful responses to the question. I am very
interested in this issue too, and I DON'T want to change vendors.

I have been told two advantages:
  + increasing the life of drill bits,
  + less chance of clearance problems (shorts).

The first advantage helps them, and the second advantage helps us.
When we asked one vendor whether we should do it, they responded that
they have been doing it automatically on our designs for over a year,
without our ever realizing it. (Makes me wonder what OTHER things they
do to help us out, eh?)

Anyway, just recently I have heard that plated holes are stronger with
the extra pads.

OK, what's the scoop, guys?                                  Jack