From:
"David T. Novick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 05 Jun 96 11:16:48 PST
     On 5 June 1996 a request from manufacturing engineering was placed for
     forwarding to TechNet.  This request is as follows:

     Several programs going into production will be using plastic parts.
     There parts tend to absorb moisture and will crack during the reflow
     process.  Since our entire experience has been with military
     packaging, we are not certain what to expect from plastic components.
     We are requesting information on the packaging and storage of these
     parts.  We also would like to know the baking parameters typically
     required to mitigate any risk during the soldering processes utilized
     throughout industry.  It is our understanding that if these parts are
     exposed to humidity for a period of time we need to vacuum bake them.
     However we do not know for what period of time and at what
     temperatures.  Since this is an area which is fairly new to us, we
     need all the feedback we can get.

     Thanks for your help.

     Rosaura Corral-Perez