Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 21:54:48 -0400 (EDT)
I couldn't agree more. What everyone seems to forget is that the origin of
hailheading was based on drill diameters that were significantly larger than
the microdrills used in today's manufacturing. If you review MIL-STD-275 you
will find that it defined the hole diameters to be no less than 0.002 inch
larger than the lead of the component that is to be inserted into the hole.
Microdrills used for via connection in high density SMD simply did not
exist, yet some stubborn opinions still reign insisting in applying this
stipulation. Also, if you consider the effect of copper weights (1/2 oz
versus 1 oz) the tolerable amount of deformation (ie 150%) is more a
function of the designers choice of copper thickness of inner layer foils
rather than "process control" of the drilling process. (maybe us poor pcb
manufacturers should insist on 4oz inner layer copper so as never to exceed
150% nailheading)

Dave Rooke