From:
"Edwards, Ted A (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
04 Jun 1996 18:41:05 -0500

Handbook of Printed Circuits 3rd edition says" Once the standard of industry
pyrocopper has been almost entirely replaced by acid copper except for
military and special applications.  Pyrocopper continues to be used because
of it's resistance to cracking, high throwing power, and purity."
 Rothschild in Electronic Packaging and Production magazine in August 1975
says pyrocopper with PY61H (the most common additive) had an average tensile
strength of 87,000 psi and an elongation of 5-18%.  Handbook says acid
copper is  40-50,000psi and 10-25% .  The major cause of the switch was
really, in my opinion waste treatment issues, with it's ammonia pyrocopper
is harder to treat than acid copper.  Pyrocopper is still in specifications
reportedly because those with high reliability applications still specify
it.   Pyro also was at a disadvantage in fine pitch applications requiring
pattern plate once to semiaqueous photoresists were less available as it is
a fine resist remover for aqueous resists. When we had a shop we used pyro
on lots of 0.093 thick boards with success.  You can get arguments on
reliability  because a whole lot depends on how you maintain either acid
copper or pyro and either bath run outside its parameters can make marginal
product. Pyro does provide a challenge from the control stand point both
from the additive and the chemistry side.   Atotech is a good contact on
pyro I believe.
With etchback you need to know what type, Anderson, etal in Purification of
acid copper baths in Plating and Surface Finishing December 1983 says even
moderate levels of manganese in acid copper baths exerts a significant
detrimental effect on tensile properties of the deposit for instance.  This
indicates potassium Permanganate desmear process need to be well maintained
and in control also.
NOTE:
Opinions are those of the author who used pyro for many years and may or may
not represent those of his employer.