TECHNET Archives

December 2019

From:
Nigel Burtt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nigel Burtt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2019 10:39:18 -0600
Semi-hypothetical question.

Aluminium wire wedge bonding to PCB ENIG pads that meet IPC-A-600 requirements is normal and OK, but if I also wanted to bond the same Al wires to PCB "soft gold" bondable pads (2um electrolytic gold over 2.5um Ni) on another similar PCB with suitable adjustment of the wedge bonder process parameters as necessary that gave me acceptable and comparable pull test strength results, what would be the likely long-term reliability of such an interface?

Is this a simple No-No?

Many thanks

Nigel