TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 11:11:16 -0800 (PST)
Gordon,
We have not addressed a transition class specifically from MIL-STD-2000 to
J-STD-001 for operators. Only original training.  As you are aware, there
was not a requirement under MIL STD to use a specific training program, only
that it be written and effective with provisions for workmanship and
testing.  Therefore, there will be differences in the training required to
transition dependent upon the initial training approach.  Operators  still
need the scope of the document since it relates to process focus issues.
Some time savings can be realized in the skills application area since it
does not change appreciably.  Acceptance criteria requires a great deal of
refocusing since the J-STD is quite liberal.  Many of our customers use the
recertification class with supplemental training on academic areas to
transition their operators.

We have conducted custom training classes in the use of no-clean flux in
approximately two days.  The real issue in the training is not really the
use of the flux itself but the process elements that go back to basics
because of the narrower process window.  For example:

1. The product must be handled with great care to maintain solderability and
prevent contamination since the no-clean activators cannot as readily remove
surface contamination.

2. Most no clean processes still require final assembly cleanliness
provisions.  Therefore it is important to instill the discipline of using
just enough flux to accomplish the task and not rely on the cleaning system
to remove all the flux they want to use.

3. Another important issue relates to disciplines and developing an
understanding regarding consequences of the tendency to go back to their
stash of the old good stuff to accomplish a difficult task.  It happens.

4. Change is always difficult.  It's important to build the operator
confidence level when we introduce a new process element that does not
necessarily make their job any easier.  Consider their motivations and
address their direct concerns and it will help.

5. Lastly, many operators complain about the odor of no-clean flux
chemistries.  Believe it or not it becomes a major hurdle but seems to
diminish with increased confidence through use.

Good luck

Mel Parrish

 In Jan 1997 Gordon Davy wrote: I'd be interested to hear how long it takes
to train an operator (who is used to working to military soldering
standards) the operator-related parts of J-STD-001 (i.e., acceptance
requirements).  I'd also like to hear how long it takes to train an operator
(who is used to working with RMA flux) to solder using a low-residue
no-clean flux.
We can be reached at:            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Manufacturing Technology Training Center (MTTC), Inc
543 Graaf Street                     Phone 619 446-5571
Ridgecrest CA 93555              Fax  619 446-4337
Web Site: http://www1.ridgecrest.ca.us/~mttc/mttc.htm
We sponsor The 21st Annual Electronics Manufacturing Seminar
 to be held 19-21 Feb 1997. Contact us for further information.