Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 12:10:34 -0600
Nancy,

Fab requirements are probably getting tighter (we spec 6.45 micrograms/in2 NaCl
for PCBs which is/was Bellcore) because assembly outgoing requirement per
J-STD-001A 8.3.2 is 1.56 micrograms/cm2 NaCl (or 10.06 micrograms/in2 NaCl)
ionic residues, same as IPC-RB-276.

Specifying a tighter cleanliness standard for PCBs gives the assemblers
a guardband.  PCB suppliers should not have a problem meeting the tighter
cleanliness spec if the PCBs go through a final cleaning prior to packaging and
shipping.  We've been at 6.4 for years without having any complaints from our
suppliers, our PCBs typically come in the 2 - 4 microgram/in2 NaCl.

My opinion of checking prior to Entek coating is that it's not necessary.  A
cleaning and microetch is part of the standard Entek process, so any residual
contaminants on a PCB should be cleaned off in the Entek process.  Others might
have a different opinion.

Tracy Tennant
Micron Technology

                                                       30-JUL-1996 09:49:48.21