TECHNET Archives

June 1997

Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 08:52:44 -0500
     John and technetters,

     I'll try to address this question from my experience within the high
     temperature environment.

     Electro-Plated Nickel (Ni)
        The first circuit finish that we evaluated was electro-plated
     Nickel. With a high melt point and showing no significant diffusion
     into any of the readily available medium temperature (melt point above
     220oC and below 350oC) solders it seemed at first glance an ideal
     solution. Nickel was common to most all PCB fabricators as it was
     commonly plated above the copper and below the Gold on edge contacts,
     so suppliers could supply the required finish with little or no
     problem. There was however a fly in the soup. Nickel by itself is very
     difficult to solder without the use of very corrosive fluxes. The
     problems with removing the flux residue led to the next solution.

     Gold over Nickel (Au/Ni)
        If a PCB fabricator could plate Gold over Nickel on the circuits
     just like they did with edge connector, then the OEM could solder to
     the circuit. The gold would dissolve into the solder and the real
     solder joint would be made of Nickel. Problem solved or so it seemed.
     As other developments allowed, the tools were taken to higher and
     higher temperatures for longer periods of time and problems with the
     solder joint began to appear. The most commonly used solder at this
     point in time was "HMP", an alloy of about 94% Lead 1% Silver and 5%
     Tin with a melt point of about 588oF (309oC).  The "standard" circuit
     finish at this time was a minimum of 50 uinches of Gold over a minimum
     of 300 minches of Nickel. The primary problem that had appeared was
     cracks in the solder joint. This it turned out was caused by Gold
     embrittlement. The combination of a high percentage of Lead in the
     solder, the amount of Gold and the increased time at elevated
     temperature had brought the problem to light. The first solution was
     to decrease the amount of Gold on the Nickel to 20 uinches ± 4
     minches. The Gold embrittlement of a high Lead solder is a non-linear
     function, by reducing the Gold to less than 1/2 of the previous amount
     the embrittlement was reduced by a factor of 4. The Gold thickness
     could not practically be reduced further because of the reduced
     storage time allowed for an unsoldered PCB. The thinner the Gold the
     faster the Nickel would passivate. 20 uinches of Gold allowed a useful
     shelf life of 3 months or so.

     Tin/Nickel (Sn/Ni)
        Tin-Nickel plating was recommended as a substitute for the
     Nickel/Gold finish. This finish is still occasionally incorrectly
     referred to a the "Santa Clara" process. The process patented by Santa
     Clara circuits did involve Tin-Nickel plate but also called for
     selective plate of "standard" Sn/Pb at the solder points. The
     Tin-Nickel seemed to be a good solution, easier to solder than pure
     Nickel and less expensive than Gold plating the Nickel. Because the
     Tin and Nickel are plated at the same time in the same plating bath
     and due to the characteristics of the two metals they are plated as a
     combination of intermetallic compounds. The most common of these
     intermettalics is NiSn, however with time and temperature NiSn
     transforms into NiSn22. This new molecule occupied a greater volume
     than did its components. This induced extreme internal stresses and
     the plating would micro crack and a fine conducting dust would be free
     to spread over the board. This problem was of no concern and was not
     noticed at temperatures used with FR-4 materials. It takes about 100
     years for the transformation to go on to completion at 85oC, however
     complete transformation will occur in a little over 200 hours at
     200oC. The longer the part was at elevated temperature the faster the
     reaction occurred. Once this phenomena was identified the use of the
     co-deposit of Tin-Nickel fell into disfavor.

     Nickel/Palladium/Gold (Ni/Pd/Au)
        There had to be a better way. Enter Nickel / Palladium / Gold
     finish first developed by Bell Labs as part of their effort to reduce
     the cost of precious metals in their equipment. Their work showed that
     Palladium with as little as 3 to 5 uinches of Gold on top made an even
     better contact for switches and relays than 40 uinches of Gold over
     Nickel. Secondly Palladium was easy to solder and cost about 1/4 as
     much as Gold. The solution was quite simple, plate Nickel over the
     copper to act as a corrosion and diffusion barrier, plate Palladium
     over the Nickel as the surface to take the solder and plate the
     Palladium with Gold (soft) to further improve the overall
     solderability. We now have the perfect (well almost) finish for use
     with high temperature solders, there is so little Gold that
     embrittlement of Lead solders ceases to be a real problem and the high
     Sn-based solders work well with this finish as well as some of the
     more "exotic" solders.

     D.Drake
     SSDS Houston