TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 17:51:54 +0200
Marc

Saponification means making soap. This is done by boiling vegetable
oils, containing fatty acids, with a strong alkali. A chemical reaction
occurs, producing a soap which is water-soluble. As many fluxes contain
carboxylic acids (including rosin) which, like oils, are not
water-soluble. They are therefore reacted with an alkali (usually, but
not exclusively, organic amines) to make them so, and the resultant
"soap" is removed by vigourous water-washing and rinsing. Some, but not
all "no-clean" fluxes are saponifiable. It is a process that needs
careful qualification and process control (the saponifier solution, for
example, requires close temperature control, too hot being just as bad,
or worse, as too cold).

Commercial saponifiers also usually contain organic solvents, to
reinforce the action. As stated, they are highly alkaline and require
good health and safety precautions, especially as the most common active
product, monoethanolamine, is somewhat volatile at the working
temperature and is quite toxic. It is therefore a process to be avoided
by the light-hearted who cannot or will not take the necessary
precautions.

Personally, I recommend water-soluble chemistry over trying to clean
something which is formulated just to avoid the need for cleaning.
E-mail me off-list if you wish more details.

Brian