From:
<[log in to unmask]> (Darren Hitchcock)
Date:
Thu, 9 May 96 9:33:01 PDT
Repairing traces on a PTFE board is generally not done.  The
reason the designer is using the PTFE material is strictly for
the electrical performance.  (it certainly isn't price)

Rebonding the traces increases the dielectric spacing as well
as change the effective dielectric constant.  The higher
the frequency, the more impact the dielectric immediately
under the conductor will have.  Both of these changes will
affect the electrical performance to some degree. The thinner
the base laminate, the larger the impact.  Also the amount of
adhesive put under the trace during the repair is technician
dependent and will affect the variation of electrical impact.

If the repair is in a location where the electrical impact
isn't a concern,  the PTFE will need to be prepared before
receiving the adhesive.  Usually a TetraEtch or Plasma Etch
is used to prepare the surface for bonding.  In any case, I
would ask the circuit designer before performing any conductor
rework.  If the rework is approved, minimize the amount of
adhesive under the conductor.

Darren Hitchcock
Merix Corporation