From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:46:58 GMT
In your message dated Wednesday 23, October 1996 you wrote :
>      I recently attended the University of Wisconsin's "System EMC
>      Compliance through Printed Circuit Design" seminar and was taught that
>      if the external planes are for shielding purposes, it is a good idea
>      to run a guard ring of ground around the periphery of the board on all
>      layers and tie the external planes and the internal ground plane
>      together through closely spaced (.25 inch) vias only at the guard
>      ring. Tying the IC and Cap ground pins to the external plane only puts
>      noise onto the shield.  The course contained other subtle tricks. Take
>      it if you can get the chance.

There are serious cost implications here with a significant increase in hole
count together with reduced stack height for small holes. This could up the
drilling cost by a factor of 3 or more. On one design we had to manufacture, it
added 5000 holes to the panel.

I was also wondering what the impedance characteristics would be like for
inner layer signal tracks running close to the vias. Would it be spiky with the
fluctuating dielectric? Does it matter?

If there is no other way of shielding within the casing of the finished unit,
then perhaps edge plating could be a lower cost method and certainly more
uniform. This would mean routing the profile, leaving attachment points, at the
first drilling stage. The attachment points are then routed through at the final
profile stage. If the screening is really critical, vias could be placed at the
points where there will be no plating.

We have done this on a number of designs over the years with no manufacturing
problems.
--
Paul Gould
Teknacron Circuits Ltd