TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
"John Barton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:02:57 +0000
I am sending this on behalf of a board manufacturer who has problems
with a customer's strict cleanliness requirements. They manufacture
double sided surface mount boards in a 12 up panel format.The solder
used is SCM water soluble with 2% silver content. The boards
are washed twice through a frequently drained autowash with DI water.
The customer requires an ionic contamination of < 0.5ug/cm2. During
autowash, boards are measured in an ionagraph while 2/500 are also
measured at final audit - any final audit fails requires the whole
batch to be rewashed and retested. Typical ionagraph results vary
between 0 and 0.5ug/cm2. The boards are then functionally tested,
packed and shipped. The customer measures 5 boards at incoming
inspection - if 1 fails the 0.5ug/cm2 spec, the entire batch is
returned.
Does anyone have any experience of the amount of contamination that
boards can pick up during shipping/packaging even with stringent
handling measures?
Is it practical for the customer to insist on this limit particularly
as the board is without any conformal coating?
One proposed solution has been the globtopping of the most critical
area of the board though this involves extra time and capital cost.
Has anyone any alternatives?
John Barton

John Barton AKA JohnnyB
NMRC, Lee Maltings,               Phone : +353-21-904082
Prospect Row,                     Fax   : +353-21-270271
Cork, Ireland.                    e-mail: [log in to unmask]
"Whenever I'm faced with a difficult problem, I always think to
myself 'How would MacGyver deal with this?'"