From:
Fred Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:30:20 -0700
D. Hoover's response is right.  If you press 18 X 24 panels in one opening and
12 X 18 in another, using, say 80,000 pounds RAM pressure; you will be effectively
pressing the 18 X 24 panels at 185 psi and the 12 X 18 panels at 370 psi.  Other
panel sizes would vary accordingly.

If you set your pressure to the larger panel size, this is not good practice for the following reasons:

1.  Tremendous stresses are applied to your platens, which, over time, with repeated cycles
     and the typical 350F temperature could alter them to something less than parallel and flat.

2.  This practice flies in the face of SPC efforts and the desired result of having consistent,
     repeatable processes which result in predictable physical/electrical properties.

3.  The higher pressures induced by this practice can cause glass lock at the Cu foil prepreg
     interface, evidenced by the following characteristics:
     a)  weave image transfer
     b)  increased potential for bow and twist
     c)  increased potential for measling (micro voids at the knuckles of the woven glass).
     d)  increased potential for micro voiding within the prepreg (by squeezing too much resin out).
     e)  dimensional stability problems.
     f)   thickness control.

If you set your pressure to the smaller panel size, this is not good practice for the following reasons:

1.  Slight irregularities in platen/caul/pcb laminate flatness may induce air entrapment.
2.  You may be compromising thorough flow of the resin.
3.  Reduced peel strength.
4.  Reduced resistance to the 'Pink Ring' phenomenom.
5.  Surface flatness may be compromised.
6.  Delamination.

If you 'split the difference' you run the risk of having any or all the above problems to some degree
relative to the respective panel sizes.

D. Hoover wisely suggested you find out from your laminate supplier what the acceptable range
of pressures is for your panel size and press procedure; and stick to it.  I  would discourage
the practice under *nearly* any circumstances.

Fred J. Paul, Sr. Process Engineer
PCB Operations, FLUKE CORPORATION
direct:  206 356-5734  fax:  206 356-6070