Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 96 15:09:30 PST
Once a board warps, there is very little that
can be done to remove the warp.  The board has
memory of stresses that were incurred during
multilayer lamination.  These stresses will
be relieved anytime the board experiences a
thermal cycle after lamination.

Don't point the finger at the fabricator of
the board just yet.  I have rarely seen a
board warp that was designed with a symmetrical
stackup.

First, look at the cross-section stackup of
the board and look for the following:

1.  The dielectric thicknesses should be
    symmetrical about the center of the
    stack.
2.  The copper weights should be symmetrical
    about the center of the stack.
3.  Signal and Ground/Power layers should be
    a mirror reflection about the center of
    the stack.
4.  If multiple dielectric materials are used
    in the board, the dielectric materials
    should be centered about the center of
    the stack.
5.  The circuitry should be the same density
    as much as possible in the x-y plane on
    each layer to minimize twist.

The further away from symmetry the board is,
the more it WILL warp and twist.  If the design
is unbalanced, there is very little that the
fabricator or assembler can do to flatten it
out for any extended period of time.  Baking
the board with weights on it will attempt to
flatten the board out, but once it is heated
back up again in IR reflow, wave solder, etc.,
the warp is back.

If the board was designed with symmetry, then the
fabricator has some evaluation to do.  Is there
any missing prepreg, wrong copper weight, layers
in the wrong order, fast cool down in the press,
etc.????

Darren Hitchcock