From:
"Greg Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
6 Nov 1996 09:23:47 -0400
Message Body (81 lines)
                      RE>Lead bond peel strength                   11/6/96

Rick,
Here are a couple of things that you could consider.  (In a past life, our group did this kind of testing and analysis for many years.)

1) It is extremely difficult to do a joint by joint comparison.  There are too many factors which will affect your joint strengths (lead/pad registration, skew, coplanarity, solderability, solder paste volume, etc).  Rather, we found that it was easier to look at entire populations.  Make sure that you get a very good statististical sampling - a confidence level of 90% or greater is recommended.

2) Look at your device prep procedure and make sure that you aren't inducing any artificial effects.  I'm assuming that you're excising the package body following reflow, in which case the excision procedure is critical.  The only acceptable methods we found were using a slow speed, oil cooled diamond saw or a laser, and even with them you have to be careful to not disturb the solder joints.

3) Make sure that your pull test procedure is controlled.  Run it at a constant crosshead speed, make sure that you maintain a constant angle during testing, and make sure that your lead gripping is secure and consistent.

4) Check out your fracture modes to see where the solder joints are breaking during testing.  You may have some joints breaking at the solder/lead interface and others at the solder/pad interface.  This could give you some idea as to how good your soldering process is.

Regards,
Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems
Chelmsford, MA