From:
[log in to unmask] ( Kevin Seaman )
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 96 10:02:30 PPE
HOWZITGOIN?

Greg Bartlett wrote:

> Our CAD suppliers currently provide us with Gerber files in RS274-D
> format, but several of our PWB suppliers have asked us to consider getting
> files in RS274-X format to take advantage of the embedded aperture list.
> Has anyone seen any problems or difficulties with the newer RS274-X format
> which we should be aware of?

Here at Rockwell (Newport Beach, CA) we started converting our gerbers to
RS-274-X in October of 95 (see "RS-274-X Explained" in the March 96 issue of
PC Design).  Since then we have sent more that 550 sets of gerber files to
approximately a dozen different board and stencil vendors.  During that time
there has not been any aperture mistakes, period!  Our main board vendor
([log in to unmask]) says the this new format saves him so much time that
he gives a discount to anyone who will send the gerber files in RS-274-X.

P.S.
The article in PC Design had all tabs converted to a single space which
made it very difficult to read.  I am willing to e-mail a DOS-zipped or
UNIX-compressed original file (with tabs) to any one who wants it.

Thank you and have a FANTASTIC day!

Kevin L. Seaman (714) 221-4752