TECHNET Archives

April 2006

From:
Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:05:15 +0100
Without prejudice to the H&S documentation with your lamp, and your
company's H&S evaluation and risk assessment of this process.

I think the reference you need is from the International Commission on
Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, where the UV-A (315nm-400nm) maximum
permissible radiant exposure for eyes within an 8 hour working day is 10
kJ/m^2. You can measure the amount of UV intensity with a radiometer,
and then multiply by time to get the dose.

I am not familiar with your particular UV lamp, but assume it is
essentially a "blacklight", producing UV-A only (no visible light, no
medium or short wave UV). Its output intensity (usually measured in
mW/cm^2) is relevant.

The good news is that the intensity of UV-A light falls off with the
square of the distance, in simple terms. In other words, by time it goes
from the lamp, to the board and reflects back to your eyes, it will be a
mere shadow of what it started out as (mixed metaphor intended!). You
can show that with your radiometer. To understand your process, you may
have to borrow or rent one if you haven't already got one. I expect and
hope you will find that you are well within the limit (as long as you
are not pointing lamp into your face!). Of course, some people are
ultra-sensitive, so will react to small amounts.

The other good news is that UV radiation is easily shielded. Most
plastics do a pretty good job (they tend to have UV inhibitors in them
to prevent yellowing). So the use of a pair of clear, UV blocking
spectacles or goggles is both very effective, cheap - and something I
would always recommended. UV-A is at the safe end of the UV spectrum,
but why risk anything when the protection is so easy?

Like most processes, this is pretty safe once the hazards are fully
understood by everyone involved and the appropriate PPE is used.

Hope your eyes are OK!
Regards,
Peter
--
Peter Swanson           [log in to unmask]
INTERTRONICS               http://www.intertronics.co.uk

Read our blog! http://www.intertronics.co.uk/blog/blog.htm