Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:04:17 -0400
Doug McKean wrote:

> Is there a difference between a
> PWB - Printed Wiring board and
> PCB - Printed Circuit Board
> in the industry?
>
> Is it safe to assume (uh-oh) the PWB is the bare board and
> the PCB is the PCB w/components, i.e. a PCB assembly?
>
> Does anyone out there make a strict division between the two this way?

	Long ago, the distinction was drawn on the grounds of active
	components - On a PWB they are strictly "installed" and only
	the wiring is printed, on a PCB, components are/can be prin-
	ted (a la "hybrid").

	In recent years I've come to include transmission lines and
	impedance controlled boards as PCB's, especially when power/
	ground and EMI performance are included in the discussion.

	For me, this has been a handy yardstick to distinguish the level
	of value expected from the design excersize.

	A recent technet submission from Mr Ralph Hersey has led me to
	believe this conclusion may be shared by others.

	Best Regards,

        Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge
Inc
        Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA
01879
        [log in to unmask]                               508 649