From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
10 May 1996 10:33:15 -0700
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>ASSY-Flagging

John --

It is my recollection that "icicles, solder spikes, etc" are acceptable as
long as they do not exceed the lead protrusion, the "minimum" electrical
spacing (even if the bent toward an adjacent "uncommon" conductor), and are
"firmly attached" reqirements;  they are acceptable.

For high electrical voltages they are a corona innitiation concern, but this
should be addressed on the assembly drawing.

Personally, they are a personnel handling safety problem.

Ralph Hersey
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

--------------------------------------
Date: 5/10/96 10:24 AM
From: John McGee

Happy Friday Technetters-

I've been tasked with justifying the enforcement of a long established
internal requirement, here at PBNI.   For as long as I can recall, we have
been considering solder flagging (aka icicles, solder spikes) a rejectable
condition, even when a solitary occurrence of as little as 0.8 mm.
(We based this rejection upon workmanship standards that we adopted
from a sister organization with a much more Class 3 and military
orientation).

As we are manufacturing Class 2 products, and are re-evaluating the adopted
requirements, this 'reject' comes into question. I'm reviewing
ANSI/J-STD-001A
and IPC-A-610B this morning, I find no reference to this condition other
than
that shown in Figure 4-17 of the latter.

I certainly don't object to loosening up on our present standard if it is
not
justifiable, but I can't help the feeling that I'm missing something.  Am I
?

An anticipatory  ...Thanks !